At New Mills Primary School we believe that every child should have the opportunity to experience
leadership of a group or team and that leadership skills are an important part of a child’s social and
emotional development. The opportunity to be a sports leader helps develop a child’s self-esteem,
confidence and communication skills. It can also help them to be become assertive and understand
the difference between being ‘assertive’ and being ‘bossy’.
All children learn in different ways and we have therefore provided a range of opportunities for
children to develop their leadership skills through sport.
- Daily Mile Leaders – Children will be selected to coach and support their peers or younger children in the school during Daily Mile.
- Inter-school Sports Captains – We participate in a wide range of inter-school sports events within the local New Mills area and through the High Peak School Sports Partnership. For each sports event, we will nominate a team captain for each team. This captain will be expected to lead the way in displaying exceptional sportsmanship on and off the field of
- Blue Peter Sports Badge – Those children who have worked towards a Blue Peter Sports badge will be encouraged to present their work to their class mates and explain how they too can go about getting a Sports Badge to recognise how they have introduced a friend to
a sport which they do at weekends.
- Lunch Time Clubs – Children who show good leadership skills will be coached to run the warm up sessions for lunch time sports clubs and to help referee games.
- Play Leader Scheme – Children from Year 5 will all have the chance to become a Play Leader for the junior playground. The children will receive Play leader training which will help them to initiate and lead play at break times and lunch times. They will work in pairs on a rota basis to be a Play leader for 2 days out of the school week.
- Sports Captain Scheme – 1 boy and 1 girl from Year 5 will be chosen to be Sports Captains for the following year. Children will apply to be Captain through a formal application process and the Captains will be selected from a panel of teachers. Sports Captains will help lead sports events and activities and will present a Sports report to Governors in the