At New Mills Primary School we believe that competitive sport can provide children with the opportunity to develop their teamwork and leadership skills. Children at our school currently have a number of opportunities to develop their leadership skills through sport:
· External Interschool sports events – Captains are selected for all external sports teams. These captains help encourage and inspire their team mates and set an example of good sportsmanship and fair play
· Playground Leaders – All Year 5 children will get the chance to be a Playground Leader which involves setting up and leading playground games for KS1 children
· Daily Mile Buddy – Children in KS2 have the opportunity to be a Daily Mile Buddy for children in KS1
· Mini Leaders – During curriculum PE lessons children are given the opportunity to lead activities such as warm ups and demonstrations
In addition to these opportunities we would like to select four Sports Captains from Year 5 every year – two girls and two boys. The Sports Captains will be role models for the whole school and will work with school staff to promote competitive sports events, sportsmanship and teamwork values. Sports captains from the previous year will assess written applications and will select the new captains based on suitability for the role. The captains will be appointed for one school year starting in September.
Role and Responsibilities of Sports Captains
· To attend interschool sports events, help with warm up activities and score keeping
· To help coordinate the Play Leaders Scheme
· To work with school staff to identify opportunities for improving sports and play equipment in the school play areas
· To help in the organisation of School Sports Day and other intra school sports events and special events such as the Scooter Duathlon
· To take on, organise and run at least one lunch time tournament for KS2 children
· To present the year end sports report to School Governors in the summer term
· To be a role model to other children in showing excellent team working skills
· To promote the values of fair play and sportsmanship
· To help in the running and refereeing of lunch time club sports
· To attend the High Peak School Sports Partnership Awards night in January 2020
If you would like to be considered for the role of Sports Captain then please complete an application form. Think about your strengths and what you could bring to the role. If you would like any help with your application or want to know more about what it would be like to be a Sports Captain please ask Mrs Fisher.
Good luck with your application!