At New Mills Primary School we encourage our children to be as fit and active as possible. Physical activity is structured into the school day in a variety of ways:
- PE lessons – every child receives 2 hours of curriculum PE per week
- Daily Mile – children are encouraged to run for 10 minutes 2- 3 times a week before school starts
- Lunch Time Clubs – we have a variety of sports clubs which run most lunch times
- After School Clubs – we have a full range of after school sports activities which include Little Learners, Lacrosse and UK Sports Mini Olympics
- School Sport – These are competitive sports competitions which take place within school time but which are held at an external venue such as the Leisure Centre or New Mills School
Participation in School Sport gives children the opportunity to try new sports and experience sport from a competitive perspective. It gives them a chance to represent their school, wear the school team kit and work with other children as a team. It also gives them the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and meet children from other schools around New Mills and the High Peak Area.
At New Mills Primary School we are very lucky to have a School Sports programme run by New Mills High School. John Worsley, Head of PE, works with his year 7,8 and 9 Leaders to deliver a full programme of events throughout the academic year. The programme includes traditional sports such as Netball, Swimming and Football but also includes a range of sports which children may not have tried before such as Cyclocross, Boccia and Gymnastics.
Some of the events are organised and run by the High Peak School Sports Partnership, one of nine School Sports Partnerships which cover each district in Derby and Derbyshire. They work to enhance PE, School Sport and physical activity opportunities for all young people.
There is a School Sport Competition every week throughout the year
This year New Mills Primary School have a target of ensuring that all children in the school participate in at least one inter-school event.
Practice sessions are held for most events so that the children go the event armed with the knowledge and understanding of the game or activity and are able to participate fully.
If you would like to know more about the School Sport programme please contact Mrs Fisher through the school office
Thank you for your support